Pages

WSET Week 9 Fortified + Hard Liquor





So this Week, was Fortified, A Sherry and a Port, and 4 hard Liquors. Cognac, Blended Scotch, Vodka, Gin

My sherry tastes are odd to say the least, when I first taste sherry it always puts me off, but the longer I sniff and have a couple more sips then I start to enjoy it, its maybe the over powering "Umami" yeasty notes that just put me off initially because they are so intense. As for Port I am starting to like Port, especially since My dad has been buying my grandma some good stuff, but this one just didn't do it for me, if anything this would put me off port If i had not had the others

As for the Hard Booze, entry level stuff, interesting but I drink way better scotch then what they poured, Yeah im a Snob so what! lol

WSET WEEK 9 FORTIFIED + HARD LIQUOR - Downtown Vancouver [AI School] (3/15/2010)
  • N.V. Gonzalez-Byass Jerez-Xérès-Sherry Nutty Solera Oloroso - Spain, Andalucía, Jerez-Xérès-Sherry
    I dont know how to score a wine like this since I have no real experience in Sherry.

    C: Med+ Amber
    A: Med+ Intensity
    Orange Peel, Molasses, Nutty, Salty Dried Fish[Anchovies]
    Opening Up a bit

    T: Med Sweet, Med Body, Long Finish
    Soy Sauce, Hoisin, Seasme Oil, Citrus Acid

    Conclusion: I did enjoy this, the hoisin flavour kinda of put me off but after about an hr or so it opened up beautifully with those Umami notes! (89 pts.)
  • 2004 Dow Porto Late Bottled Vintage - Portugal, Douro, Porto
    A: Med intensity
    Powdery Grape Candy [Kids Flintstones Vitamins], Citrus Peel [Seven Up] Candied Peel, Rubber

    T: Powdery Grape Candy, Concentrated, Prune, Crystallized Lemon+Lime+Grapy Candy

    Conclusion: not the best example of a late bottle vintage [Ie quinto de crasto 2003 fantastic] IMO I have had better this seemed not together (83 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

Also Add
Courvoisier V.S. Cognac
Cognac not my favourite drink, finishes with some oak, hot and you know entry level stuff, I still like the South African Brandy my grandpa use to always buy

Chivas Regal 12yr Old Blended Scotch
This is why I do not buy Blended Scotch [Maybe Blended MALT Scotch] but the Grain Alcohol bsae that is added is so APPARENT its like drinking a bourbon minus the new American oak, so Grainy which is what Scotch doesn't taste like. PEAT PEAT PEAT unsmoked, smoked whatever just give me peat. Dont get me wrong it was good but would never pay the price

Stoilchnaya Vodka
Yup why I do not drink vodka taste like nail polish plain and simple

Tanqueray London Dry Gin
Gin, where is my tonic and lime enough said really lol



THE 100-POINT RATING SCALE (Robert Parker of the Wine Advocate describes this in more detail.)
• Extraordinary (96-100 points)
• Outstanding (90-95)
• Very Good to Excellent (85-89)
• Good (80-84)
• Average (75-79)
• Below average (70-74)
• Avoid (50-70)

1 comment:

  1. I just don't know about Sherry and I'm definitely not a hard liquor drinker, although I can do a screwdriver now and again. As for Port, I like most of the varietal ports that have been popular here the past couple of years but that old tawny stuff, nah!
    Had a late harvest Chenin blanc Thursday evening that was fabulous, only 11% alcohol and nice balance...that's more my speed.

    ReplyDelete