Pages

On Deals, plus Review NZ Pinot





So with this Recession happening world wide we all know the prices are dropping/going on sale, especially in the wine world.  Lots of article on the sale of $50+ California wine not really moving at all. And the start up of Cinderella Wine we can see what type of deals are out there and what wines are not selling well.

In BC here we are under a government run liquor board, agent import but can't discount too much its just illegal [max 30%] but the LBD can do what they want.[well they are government they always do what they want].  Via Twitter I found out that one of the Stores had a bunch of clearance wines up to 50% off, one being a NZ Pinot Noir I had at a tasting which I loved, 2008 Delta Vineyard Pinot Noir.  So I got down there as fast as I could, found out it was '06.  I was a little bummed since I had not tasted the vintage, but bought 6 bottles anyways [Regular 27.99 on for 19.59 which btw if you are not from BC is Cheap] Plused grabbed a Valpolicella, and a Reserva Spanish 2000 vintage.

The Stats:
Delta Vineyards
2006 Pinot Noir

13.0%
Marlborough, New Zealand
100% "New" Dijon Clones
Grown on Clay Soils, 5 Day Cold Soak

The Eye:
Medium Plus Intensity, Ruby,

The Nose:
Day 1
Dark and Rich off the bat, Some Kirsch Liquor, Stawberry, Milk Chocolate
Day 2
Now opening up with Stewed Strawberry/Rhubarb,  Mild Pepper, Sweet Mushrooms

The Mouth:
Day 1
Red Fruit [Cranberry/Strawberry], Floral, Fungal, Dash of Creaminess
Day 2
Stewed Strawberry/Rhubarb

Overall/Reflection:
I like this wine, I really have a soft spot for New Zealand Pinot Noir, Marlborough and Central Otago, I did find this a touch on the "big" side for me but still delicious and am glad I have two more bottles to savour

Score: 88

THE 100-POINT RATING SCALE (Robert Parker of the Wine Advocate describes this in more detail.)
• Extraordinary (96-100 points)
• Outstanding (90-95)
• Very Good to Excellent (85-89)
• Good (80-84)
• Average (75-79)
• Below average (70-74)
• Avoid (50-70)

No comments:

Post a Comment